Preparing For The Auditon
The audition will be 15 minutes long. Please arrive 15 minutes early to set up and warm up.
At the audition, please be prepared to play:
- Scales: major and minor scales concert F and G; blues scale concert F; chromatic scale
- Repertoire (you will likely only be asked to play part of the song):
- Lyrical/ballad jazz style piece of your choice (with or without backing track)
- Technical jazz style piece of your choice (with or without backing track)
- Sight reading a jazz chart chosen by the Director
- Improvisation (optional) to concert Bb or F blues, or a backing track of your choosing
- Bass: should demonstrate walking blues in F
- Drums: should be prepared to play in various styles: swing, funk, bossa
- Voice: scales are not applicable; backing track is recommended
The band member fee is $350 ($175 per term). We also often hold a band retreat run in the fall which is approximately $200. (Note: our goal is to make the band available to all interested students regardless of financial circumstances, so if there is concern about the fees you may have a confidential discussion with band President Dave Gretzinger).
Band members are expected to attend all rehearsals. These will be held weekly at Queen Elizabeth Park Cultural and Community Centre, Wednesdays from 7:15-9:15 PM. Rehearsals are intended to bring the pieces of the band together; a robust personal practice schedule is also expected.
This is a relatively small ensemble with few back-up positions. With rare exceptions, band members are expected to attend all performances, which may occur on weekends and in the summer. A preliminary list will be provided in the fall, though due to the uncertainties of obtaining performances there will be changes and updates through the year (band members will be polled for availability for any new or changed dates).
Band members are expected to manage their schedules to identify and avoid conflicts between HRJ events and other personal events.
Also, band members have a role in running the activities of the band! Everyone will participate in various tasks, such as stage setup/tear down, promotion (eg. social media), sheet music management, leading workshops, etc.
Last but very important note: High Rendition is run by parents of band members. It is critical that everyone provides support for the band, including attending monthly parent meetings, helping organize events (especially the annual spring fundraiser), and potentially taking an executive committee position (President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Marketing/Communications, Events, and Fundraising).
Please contact Dave Gretzinger at firstname.lastname@example.org.