Thank you for your interest in joining High Rendition Youth Jazz Band; it is a rewarding and challenging experience!
The band accepts auditions for all instruments, though availability of positions varies from year to year based on the turnover of band members. The band consists of trumpets, trombones, saxophones (alto, tenor and baritone), drums/percussion, piano/keyboard, bass guitar, electric guitar and vocals.
Information Form: Audition-Form-HRJ-2017-18.doc
Preparing for the audition
The audition will be 15 minutes long. Please arrive 15 minutes early to set up and warm up.
At the audition, please be prepared to play:
- Scales: major and minor scales concert F and G; blues scale concert F; chromatic scale
- Repertoire (you will likely only be asked to play part of the song):
- Lyrical/ballad jazz style piece of your choice (with or without backing track)
- Technical jazz style piece of your choice (with or without backing track)
- Sight reading a jazz chart chosen by the Director
- Improvisation (optional) to concert Bb or F blues, or a backing track of your choosing
- Bass: should demonstrate walking blues in F
- Drums: should be prepared to play in various styles: swing, funk, bossa
- Voice: scales are not applicable; backing track is recommended
If there are any questions about these audition components, don’t hesitate to contact email@example.com.
Other important information about the band
The band member fee is $350 (Our goal is to make the band available to all interested students regardless of financial circumstances, so if there is concern about the annual fee please have a confidential discussion with band President Dave Gretzinger).
Band members are expected to attend all rehearsals. These will be held weekly at Queen Elizabeth Park Cultural and Community Centre, Wednesdays from 7:15-9:15 PM. Rehearsals are intended to bring the pieces of the band together; a robust personal practice schedule is also expected.
This is a relatively small ensemble with few back-up positions. With rare exceptions, band members are expected to attend all performances, which may occur on weekends and in the summer. A preliminary list will be provided in the fall, though due to the uncertainties of obtaining performances there will be changes and updates through the year (band members will be polled for availability for any new or changed dates). Band members are expected to manage their schedules to identify and avoid conflicts between HRJ events and other personal events.
The 2016/17 band did the first successful local retreat weekend; this will be planned again for 2017/18. The cost was $125 (see above note regarding financial circumstances and band participation).
Last but very important note: High Rendition is run by parents of band members. It is critical that everyone provides support for the band, including attending monthly parent meetings, helping organize events (especially the annual spring fundraiser), and potentially taking an executive committee position (President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Marketing/Communications, Events, and Fundraising).